a Regional Collaboration Grant, regional workforce and economic
development partners have formed a collaborative known as the
“Eastern Region Workforce Innovations Network”
(WIN) which geographical boundaries encompass the following
thirteen North Carolina counties – Carteret, Craven, Duplin,
Edgecombe, Greene, Jones, Lenoir, Nash, Onslow, Pamlico, Pitt,
Wayne and Wilson.
The WIN partnership was established to
focus on the region’s workforce development needs, priorities,and
innovations to ensure a skilled workforce is available to
retain good companies as well as attract new industries. Other
partners within the Workforce Development Network include
the Region’s public school systems, community colleges,
private colleges, universities, Employment Security Commission,
and JobLink Career Center partners. WIN will serve as a connector
for information sharing, identifying resources, and sharing
best practices in workforce development. These efforts will
support the Region’s major economic development activities
and investments that are underway in the Region to spur the
growth in the following targeted industry clusters:
- Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services including:
military base professionals and related contractors, Internet
service providers, web search portals and data processing
services, and wholesale electronics.
- Health Care Services including: ambulatory health services,
hospitals, nursing care and residential, and offices of
doctors and dentists.
- Motor Vehicle Electrical and Electronic cluster comprises
establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing vehicular
lighting and/or manufacturing and rebuilding motor vehicle
electrical and electronic equipment. The products made can
be used for all types of transportation equipment.
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, life sciences, and distribution.
- Food Manufacturing and Food Processing, distribution,
- Retiree Attractions, including health care related, new
residential construction, and real estate.
- The Marine Trades Industries Boat Building and Maintenance
cluster includes businesses in marine industry such as Hatteras-New
Bern, Jarrett Bay, and Parker Marine.
- The Marine Sciences cluster includes companies such as
Duke University Marine Laboratory, NOAA Center for Coast
Fisheries and Habitat Research, NC State University Center
for Marine Science and Technology, UNC CH Institute of Marine
Sciences, the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shore, the NC Maritime
Museum, and Carteret Community College Aquaculture program.
- Hospitality and Tourism lodging and hospitality cluster
accounts for over 8,400 jobs in the region.
- Construction Trades and Skilled Trades.
The Eastern Region Wokforce Innovations Network
is a Collaborative Project of the following Economic and Workforce